Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My take on Global Warming

I am certainly no scientist, but I would like to think I have the ability to use common sense and logic, so here goes.  Ever notice how if you watch one of these shows, that believes global warming is about to end the world, and they show "compelling" evidence of glaciers melting.  Do you notice that the water around the glacier are not ice?  Do you think it's possible they only show the glacier's melting when it's "summer" in the Arctic?  I know it's been a long time since I was in school, but I do remember being taught that when it is above 32 degrees, ice melts, or at least doesn't freeze anymore.  So you will have to excuse me if I don't find glaciers melting, when the temperature is above 32 degrees, to be hard facts for global warming.  And since, most of these shows don't actually show real factual numbers of the glaciers decreasing, my common sense tells me they are only showing the side of the argument that fits their story.

Another major talking point for global warming is Co2 levels, and honestly I don't have the numbers to show what they actually are, instead I would like to use common sense.  Anyone ever hear of  photosynthesis, probably right?  It's the process in which plant life breathes in carbon dioxide, and releases oxygen back into the air.  Using common sense, isn't it possible that plant life helps reduce the carbon levels that we are told are causing global warming?  I wouldn't necessarily know because when you listen to Al Gore talk about global warming, somehow that topic doesn't come up.

These are just two of my opinions on why global warming doesn't make sense to me, but being that I'm not a scientist, your probably thinking, well what does he know anyways.  So let me use some factual evidence from wikipedia.

  "Carbon dioxide is essential to photosynthesis in plants and other photoautotrophs, and is also a prominent greenhouse gas. Despite its relatively small overall concentration in the atmosphere, CO2 is an important component of Earth's atmosphere because it absorbs and emits infrared radiation at wavelengths of 4.26 µm (asymmetric stretching vibrational mode) and 14.99 µm (bending vibrational mode), thereby playing a role in the greenhouse effect.[3] The present level is higher than at any time during the last 800 thousand years,[4] and likely higher than in the past 20 million years."[5]

Typical in the global warming argument, that you have two sides of the story contradicting the other.  In one sentence it says carbon dioxide is important to the earth, and it has a very small overall concentration.  At the end of the statement, it tells you that it's higher than it's ever been in the past 800 thousand years.  So which is it?  I would believe both to be true, but the first part is the more important part of the story, that you normally don't hear.


"The Earth's oceans contain a huge amount of carbon dioxide in the form of bicarbonate and carbonate ions — much more than the amount in the atmosphere. The bicarbonate is produced in reactions between rock, water, and carbon dioxide. One example is the dissolution of calcium carbonate:
CaCO3 + CO2 + H2O Ca2+ + 2 HCO− 3
Reactions like this tend to buffer changes in atmospheric CO2. Since the right-hand side of the reaction produces an acidic compound, adding CO2 on the left-hand side decreases the pH of sea water, a process which has been termed ocean acidification. Reactions between carbon dioxide and non-carbonate rocks also add bicarbonate to the seas. This can later undergo the reverse of the above reaction to form carbonate rocks, releasing half of the bicarbonate as CO2. Over hundreds of millions of years this has produced huge quantities of carbonate rocks.
Ultimately, most of the CO2 emitted by human activities will dissolve in the ocean,[26] however the rate at which the ocean will take it up in the future is less certain."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide_in_Earth's_atmosphere



Did wikipedia just say that most of the Co2 emitted by humans will dissolve??  Of course the rest of this page ignores that, and talks about how Co2 levels are so high they can't be reversed and global warming is upon us.  So what are to we believe wikipedia??  I think ultimately we don't know, but instead of saying that, they would rather use the evidence to further an agenda like pushing green energy sources.  So maybe global warming is real, maybe it isn't, I think that trying to better the earth we live in makes sense on any level.  But I think that the majority of people pushing the global warming theory(a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact), are generally just doing so to improve their bottom line, and not because they care so much about the earth and the enviroment.

4 comments:

Mark cantrall said...

Also from wiki "Carbon dioxide emissions from the production of shale oil and shale gas are higher than conventional oil production and a report for the European Union warns that increasing public concern about the adverse consequences of global warming may lead to opposition to oil shale development"
Much like the "theory" of evolution, global warming should not be discounted, the earth is getting hotter, the polar icecaps are shrinking and water levels are rising, none of this is in dispute, what is in dispute is what is the root cause, is it a function of the earth, a naturally occuring global cycle, or a man made phenomenon? Oil production from shale formations in canada is making Canada a world leader in oil production and actually trumps saudi Arabia in founded oil reserves, unfortunately, this oil has been locked away in these rock formations in the form of carbon dioxide for millions of years. Through the process of extracting this oul, and all natuarally occuring forms of carbon which we process into fossil fuels, we are releasing this carbon. Paired with the destruction of forests, the amazon (the earths lungs) and the overpopulTion of the globe, there is no way the earth is able to process this amount of carbon, which gets stored in the upper atmosphere as heat. Im not discounting ur argument that global warming as a man made phenomenon is strictly theoretical but certainly u can appreciate the scientific evidence, satellite imagery, and sever weather patterns that we can see on a daily basis as evidence man is destroying its environment.

Anonymous said...

Hook line and sinker eh Mark? lol.. I don't want to make fun of your views... but I've seen as much as I can on the global warming and I just disagree... I fell for Al Gore's inconvenient truth way back in 2006... I thought we were doomed... Over time I've seen other factual evidence that showed me the other side of the story... We can agree on one thing... I care about the earth and how we treat it... I really do... but as the wikipedia article i showed parts of said... no matter what we do it's too late... You can't change take back what has already happened... Which leads me to believe that the people screaming for the change are the very people that will benefit from the change... ie a global carbon tax...

I know about Canada's oil tar sands... and I appluad their efforts... Oil isn't going anywhere until we run out... that's just realistic... And if we are going to keep using oil at least we should get it from a country who is our friend... and not opec...

If you really want... I can find you several videos of scientists showing the facts the global warming "experts" won't show... the real numbers on the icecaps melting... and the real numbers on how it will actually effect our oceans increase... Of course you will probably just tell me they work for the Koch brothers and their "facts" are just made up lies...

But regardless of who is right or wrong... I enjoy the debate... And just like with evolution and or the big bang theory... I think everyone should be presented with both sides of the story... not just one... Because ultimately... all 3 are just theories...

Mark said...

I dont pretend to be an expert, im simply saying that although creationism is an excepted theory of life, you cant ignore the facts presented that pretty much guarantee we evolved over millions of years from a simpler life form. Certainly its disputed whether outside forces, ie an asteroid, killed off the dinosaurs, or perhaps it was the earths constantly changing weather patterns that made earth uninhabitable. In any case, i believe we are accelarating these naturals phenomenons past the point that present life forms can survive. The earth is gonna be alright, until our sun runs out of energy, there will be life on this planet. Im not a doomsdayer thinking the earth is gonna shruvel up and die anytime soon, but i do believe day by day we are making it more dificult for humans to inhabit this planet. Overfishing, loss of wildlife habitat, we require these resources to survive and realistically we are pillaging them faster than they can be replenished. So i think i know whom im debating here but interested in ur thoughts so feel free to respond with ur name unless ur afraid ill sick Al Gore on u

Anonymous said...

I'm still learning how to use this thing... It won't let me sign into my own blog and use my name... If I click comment under my google account it just keeps bringing me back to the same page without posting... Weird

I don't think creation is an accepted theory anymore... I believe in it...but that doesn't mean much... im just an out of work online poker player who started a blog lol... I just find it incredibly hard to believe that we came from monkeys... that came from sea creatures that were created from under water volcanoes... I saw it on Nat Geo...

Global warming is something completely different... If you want to talk about overfishing and losss of wildlife habitat... I would probably agree with you on most of it... just not the global warming whatever part... I think it's natural... If the earth truly is warming... that's just what is supposed to happen... But living in FL... We have the coldest winters in 60 plus years... the last 3 years in row... with each year getting worse... So I could agree with natural climate change... But I see global warming as a ruse for people to make money off of the the solar/wind tech. and possibly a carbon tax... I also see it as a way to restrict people's living according to what the U.N. or government may want you to do... I want to live in a Free land where I make those choices not someone else... Don't tell me what lightbulbs I should use(i have engery efficient ones)... Did you see the video on Al Gore where he wants to teach women to have less children?? Do you agree with what they do in China... one child per family?? Even if the world is over populated no one should have that right to tell you how many children you can have...